Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Eating Out (Yes It's Possible!)

I didn't eat out for the first several months after my daughter was born. I was not trusting that restaurants would be informed about dairy allergies, or would take them seriously enough to prepare meals without dairy if requested. I've since loosened up a bit - probably around the time my daughter was 6 months old. I have found that going to larger chain restaurant websites can provide information about allergens in their food, or recommendations for menu items you can safely eat. I also talk to my server, or if I didn't feel I was getting the attention and concern necessary, the manager.

Following are some tips I've learned along the way...
  • Go on the websites of large chains. I usually do a Google search of "RESTAURANT NAME allergen" or "RESTAURANT NAME dairy"
  • Call the main office of chain restaurants if they don't have information on their website
  • Some local restaurants that have multiple sites have been surprisingly well versed on food allergies. Try giving them a call. I have found that the smaller mom-and-pop types of restaurants are not good at identifying dairy in their foods, nor can provide recommendations on what you can safely eat.
  • Higher-end restaurants also typically have more "respect" for food allergies and will work with you to find menu items that you can eat.
  • If you aren't sure, don't risk it! I've had many meals where I've ordered something safe (like french fries - as long as they aren't the batter dipped kind - and applesauce). While it's not the most wholesome of meals, at least I'm not hungry and I don't have to be a recluse and stay home or at the office while everyone else goes out to eat.
Here are some websites that I also have found helpful in identifying "safe" restaurants:

No comments:

Post a Comment